Monday, March 10, 2008

Documentation

It seems that with each passing week, my body experiences a new set of minor inconveniences. I stress the word minor, because we know the difference between major and minor things that can happen. I'm merely documenting and not complaining. I have nothing to complain about with regard to my body and growing a hopefully healthy, live baby.

The first month in a reclining position created daily minor headaches. Thankfully, they weren't the cover-my-eyes-curl-up-in-a-ball-holding-my-head headaches, which I might get two to three times a year. They were noticeable and I didn't take any painkillers for them. Sleep usually helped, and they only happened during the work week. Hmmm, must have been that business plan I was working on, which is finally done. Also might have something to do with the glare from my computer screen and the ceiling lights shining right in my eyes since I'm reclined, plus the pressure on my lower huge head and neck from the not so soft pillow. Note to self: get softer pillow.

Last Thursday, during nearly all of the daylight hours, what I'm hoping were round ligament pains located in my right groin area, were strobe-lighting. Pulsing. Pulsating. Noticeable. I felt my belly periodically throughout the day and it didn't feel hard to indicate a contraction. I asked my OB about it, having experienced it minimally the week before, she suggested they were round ligament pains. With the twins I experienced it on my right side but higher up, between my hip and my bellybutton (just like the book said). I haven't felt it that frequently since.

My left quadricep muscle (nearest the knee) is starting to get pissed from not being used. It's beginning to cramp on me periodically, and I stretch it often throughout the day and during wee morning hours bathroom trips without trying to bounce on it. Massaging it helps for a short time. I'm too paranoid to do any extended walking for fear of upsetting that cervix.

Yet -- I'm happy to report that Miss Cervix is 4.5cm. All is normal at the 20-week ultrasound last week. We have a huge hurdle coming up -- 24w5d, which is when the twins were born. I imagine I'll be all twisted up in my head around that time. I am carefully monitoring for signs of PTL, my OB is seeing me regularly, if I ever feel "not quite right" I will call my OB. I also share all my pains with wannabe dad, so he will remember to bring it up at my appointments if I don't. I pray that I make it to the end of the 2nd trimester, then continue sailing on through the 3rd.

Last Friday was the one year anniversary of the girls' due date. It nearly slipped my mind. I actually had to pull out an old calendar and count forward from 24w5d starting at 11/18/06. I could never put my finger on their exact due date -- for twins, 37 weeks is considered full term which would have made it around the middle of February. But the 40 week date was last week, and I didn't take too much notice. The focus of most of last week was an article finally being printed about us and the girls (we were interviewed in March '07), our anniversary, and the 20-week ultrasound. Come to think of it, I don't even know the due date of the baby that I miscarried in July '05. Just add it to the long list of things I don't know, like why the dog is whining right now.

*Edited to do the right math. You knew what I meant.

2 comments:

Julia said...

I am glad you are being careful documenting everything and that your OB is so responsive. Fingers crossed that all these dates pass uneventfully and you sail all the way to term.

Beruriah said...

Yay cervix. I sympathize on all counts, truly. Wish I could speed up time. Can I suggest stretching your quads frequently?