The consult with the peri (#1) on Wednesday afternoon yielded a cerclage appointment on Thursday morning. Early, as in report at 6:30 a.m. for a 9 a.m. surgery. #1 reviewed my history (as told to him by me; I thought he reviewed my medical records!), and essentially gave me the choice. We made the 1 hour trek to the hospital this morning, the same one where I delivered the twins.
The spinal block hurt more than the procedure itself, even now 11 hours later. I'm home now, and there's bloody mucous which I'm told shouldn't last more than 24 hours. The peri (#2) who performed the procedure (colleague #1) didn't tell me whether I needed to be on bedrest, and I was too out of it to ask. I need to make an appointment for next Friday for a follow-up, at which time I'll also get the first weekly progesterone injection. I'll find out about my allowed activity level, until then I'll be taking it easy.
I thought I would have been overcome with emotion when we got to the hospital. Thankfully I wasn't, and thankfully the surgery area was in a completely different area from where I was with the girls. The nurses and anesthesiologist were so incredibly kind and helpful, just like those at my last visit. I didn't appreciate how #2 asked if this was my first cerclage or my first child. Through the oxygen mask I told him about my girls. *huge eyeroll*
I feel more secure with the cerclage. I know from reading many other moms' experiences that it's not a guarantee, but coupled with taking it easy for the next 6 months I do feel good about this. I don't want to have a false sense of security, because goodness knows I know better, but because I know better I do feel like I have some control. Translation: no sex, no O face, no stairs, no sitting for long periods of time. Lots of lying down. Wannabe dad is so supportive. He's been planning for this as well. I couldn't have waited for a better man.
And I feel a little loopy (can you tell?), running on lack of sleep, a bladder that fills up quickly, and not eating the huge amount of food I normally do. I am disappointed though, because I only gained 4 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I might have to resort to milkshakes!
15 weeks tomorrow. 25 more to go.


2 comments:
Yay! So glad that's over. Bring on the milkshakes.
i think that even if ALL the cerclage does is help you feel a little more secure (and i'm by no means suggesting that it's only a mental thing) then it's worthwhile.
and i'm with B...bring on the milkshakes. :)
Post a Comment