Sitting in my inbox was an invitation to view some photos of "Our 2007 Christmas" complete with 4-year-old daughter.
Was it too much to expect a short message (separately, of course, since the photo album was sent via S.napfi.sh) in response to the handwritten message in my Christmas card to accompany the inkjetted year in review plus a picture of our girls, that said "I realized that I never told you about the twins last year. We seem to be doing ok, wishing you well this season." ??
Apparently it was, and my expectation of human kindness had better whittle itself down, way down. Outside of the grief community, that is.
There were two families I wrote that specific message to, and no response. These are people I've known since high school and college (ages, ages ago), but we haven't spoken live in over 5 years.
Here's a reply I gagged together:
"Thanks for sharing these pictures. I am assuming you received my Christmas card. I hope you weren't freaked out by my news, and I want to let you know that I'm ok with talking about our losses. And, if you wanted to ask me any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them. I know our correspondence is limited to Christmas cards and the occasional online album, but I think of you as a friend and wanted to share my thoughts with you."
Long-winded, a lot of sucking it up (read between the lines of what I really wanted to say!), but I shouldn't jump down her throat for not knowing what to say. I doubt she knows many parents of dead children. Before our loss, I knew no one in this category.
And now for Chuck's food tour...Breakfast: Quesadilla with egg and salami, fruit smoothie complete with 2-year-old popsicle found in freezer, hot water. Lunch: Hot rice and hot sardines in tomato sauce, plus a quesadilla with ham, ice water.
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
You are way too nice. Waaaaay.
Quesadilla... yum.
you are indeed nice. i hope she understands the message between the lines and finds a way to actually respond and acknowledge.
my own experience has been that people aren't so good at that and that sometimes trying to make it easier for them actually makes them think you really ARE responsible for making them feel better about "your little problem" and that they're in no way obliged to acknowledge your child/children.
i don't say that to be depressing or suggest you shouldn't have written what you did, just to commiserate and hope that your friend has the guts to actually stand up and honour your news with acknowledgement and caring.
and great news about Chuck!
Post a Comment