For anyone else, Saturday was just that, an ordinary Saturday.
But in our house, Saturday November 24th marked one year that our sweet baby girls passed away.
And because we wanted people to remember them, we had people over. But first, we had them meet us at the cemetery. For just an hour, to pay their respects, to remind themselves how they should have called us more often to let us know they were thinking of us, to remind themselves that the babies were real and that our wild mood swings in the last year were because of something monumental.
And we shared our thoughts. We thanked them for coming, mostly relatives and very few close friends, and we explained that it meant a lot for us that they were here today. We told them that we visit the girls every single weekend. We still think about them all the time. You probably haven't seen much of us this last year, and that's because it's so difficult. We don't know how to feel, but we feel better when we're not around people who tell us to "get over it", and we missed your birthdays and other events you thought were important not because we don't care about you, but because we didn't have anything left.
Or something like that. But it was all said very nicely.
And back in February we were interviewed for a local magazine. That magazine went out of business for a spell but now it is back, and the article will be printed next year. Our dear cousin read our early copy to the crowd. It explained how we were frustrated with making other people feel comfortable with our grief. It detailed our annoyance with platitudes that start with G and end with the word "plan." It spoke of our disdain for malls and parks and anywhere outside of our home where newborns and pg women lurk. It chronicled my long days of bedrest and the babies' birth and their condition, and their death.
And the gathering sighed. They cried. They had no idea what we went through, as only a few people asked us specifically what happened. They lamented their bad behavior in the last year. They thought we wanted to be left alone.
It's true, we did.
But a simple "I'm thinking of you and I'm bringing you a funny movie" would have been nice. And inviting us to an aunt's birthday dinner and letting us know that the other cousin and new baby were coming too and letting us decide whether we would attend or not, would have been really, really over the top nice.
And mostly they understood a little bit more of where we were coming from, and thanked us for sharing our story.
And then we came back to our house for lunch.
And we went to bed happy, in a way, because we got through the first year, and we unloaded many pent up feelings to people who love us. Hopefully those who got the message will be able to be better friends and relatives to others who experience such a tragic loss.
Happy (for lack of a better word) Anniversary, Cerina and Nadia. Your Papa and I love you very much, and there are lots of people thinking of you and remembering you too. We'll never let them forget your short lives and how you changed ours.
Cerina & Nadia's 1st birthday cake


9 comments:
Oh, I'm sorry I let Saturday go by without commenting. Your tribute to your girls was astonishing, beautiful. I know this is going to come awfully close to one of those annoying things people say, but really, I am in awe of your bravery and composure.
Thinking of you, and Cerina and Nadia with much love.
That was an extraordinary thing to do. I don't think I would have it in me to say those things nicely. We have friends who did right by us, especially at the beginning. There are a few people who should hear what you said, but I don't think I could get it out calmly or nicely.
I am sorry I missed the anniversary. You honored your girls in such a noble and sweet way. And I am, as always, so sorry you have this anniversary at all.
This will probably come out all wrong, but I'm so impressed with your ability to explain your feelings to friends and relatives and to let them know where they've failed you and what you need and what would help you. I hope they'll truly listen to what you've told them.
Thinking of Cerina and Nadia and of all the love you've given and continue to give them.
Wow, I am so, so impressed with how you honor your little girls. Not just the gathering of remembrance at the cemetery, but the article and also being able to express your feelings to your friends and family.
All I can do, when my friends and family have disappointed me and my husband, is to just retreat. I can't bring myself to say anything, I am just so devastated and hurt. I think it takes tremendous strength to be able to tell people how they have let you down. But I am so glad that they recognize this and are sorry for their behavior. I hope they can be there for you more, now that they understand a little more.
i am in awe of your courage and composure, managing to hold that ceremony at the cemetery and say all you needed to say, yet nicely, constructively. i fantasize about doing that, yet have been too cowardly to do so...and thus have never given my own loved ones the chance you just gave yours. i think it sounds freeing, and wise.
Happy Angelday to your babies!
You should feel so blessed to be surrounded by so many who care about you and your babies.
it was very difficult to do. reading that article was a very last minute thing that wannabe dad thought of, and we rec'd it from the writer just a few hours before having to leave for the cemetery. i don't think i intended to say what i said before my cousin read the article, but when i opened my mouth all this honesty (and tears) came flying out. and i was at first hesitant about offending anyone but decided, screw it, everyone who means anything to us is here, and if i piss them off it's not my problem, and they'd love us anyway. we were cognizant of inviting only those who showed any inkling of compassion in the last year, and unfortunately, my fil and his wife and her kids weren't invited.
and we really, really did feel so incredibly blessed all those people came, and listened, and stayed.
one of my aunts, who really has been awesome, even apologized and said "we never talked about it. we should have gotten together as a family and talked about them and remembered them." (ok now i'm crying!)
anyway, you moms are so wonderful. i'm sending you all big hugs for being "here" for the girls and for us.
xoxoxo
clarissa & richard
I'm sorry about this very very hard anniversary. I hope that as time passes, it gets easier.
I am late to this, and I am sorry. Every birthday is important, but the first... is particularly poignant, and special, and hard. You handled it in such an amazing, beautiful way. I envy your courage and your openness.
Thinking of you, your husband, and of course Cerina and Nadia.
Post a Comment