I should be updating the books and send the necessary reports to the accountant, but...
My very dear friend of 1,000 years (ok, not that long, at least since the awkward teen years) is about to give birth any day now. Whether the little one decides to come on her own or A is induced, she is coming. As it is already 3 days past her due date, we are worried. And she is high risk.
A was also there when Cerina and Nadia were removed from the ventilators. She is a godmother to Cerina. I didn't tell her before got on the plane, nor the night before when she got into town, but after she arrived at the hospital did I finally tell her that the girls weren't going to make it. It was heartbreaking. We had looked forward to this for a long time.
Afterward, she called people to tell them, people I hadn't spoken with in a while. She called the funeral home and the cemetery. She helped me make sense of things when we got home.
Truthfully, and she knows this, I had a really hard time with her being pregnant when I first heard. Ok, up until two months ago. Who am I kidding? But right now it seems that a switch has gone off. I'm worried when she's worried. I'm happy when she's happy. She is truly an advocate for her and her baby's care, something that I wasn't but now will be. Goodness, it is difficult enough dealing with my own issues (down there) that I shouldn't add more weight to my heart. This IS a happy moment, even if it's not happening to me.
So A, I am looking forward to welcoming Miss L into the world. I love you.
Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Of course you had a difficult time with her pregnancy early on. I am very glad you're able to find happiness in it - and I hope all goes well for A and Miss L. It's so nice you two share such a wonderful friendship.
I get nervous when people go overdue too.
I am glad you are in a good place about this pregnancy now, and as B said above, no wonder it wasn't an easy road for you. I just found out three people I know are pregnant, and am now planning to studiously avoid them as much as possible.
Please let us know when little Miss L arrives.
Going overdue fills me with dread too. But I also have to say that everyone I have known in the past few years who has gone overdue has delivered perfect, healthy babies. We all know too much, and so those things scare us. But I do hope they won't let her go much longer...
That was a wonderful post and I am sure it will mean a great deal to A. You and your friendship mean the world to her.
Aloha
I'm with everyone who feels terrified at the news that a baby is overdue. It scares me when the mom seems totally nonchalant about the whole thing, with her main fear that she might have to be induced. Of course, it always turns out that my worry is unwarranted. But still.
I'm hoping that some day that switch will go off for me and I'll be able to endure my stepbrothers' babies. Did it just happen or did you do something that helped make it happen?
niobe: i think the passage of time really helped. and it's different for everyone. a support group friend held a newborn a mere 5 months after her own daughter died. i haven't yet done that, although i looked at one very closely yesterday (gosh that sounds so clinical) without wanting to run crying from the room.
it was a gradual switch/shift, and it also had a lot to do with her continuing to keep in touch and not talking to me about her pregnancy unless i asked.
Post a Comment