Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Revealed

I first met my paternal grandmother when I was 12. She and my grandfather moved to H.aw.aii from the Phi.lippi.nes in the '80s. I never got that close to her, I think it was because I didn't know her as a younger child, and also because she's not that kind of grandmother. I learned how to use a sewing machine watching her for hours sew squares upon squares of scraps to create pillowcases and crooked, batting-less square blankets. She was always henpecking my grandfather, watching her money closely, and grumbling about something. She bought me and my brother small gifts for the holidays, and as a spoiled Ame.ric.an teen I don't remember being very thankful.

She and my mother have never gotten along. Rumor says my grandmother wanted my dad to marry another classmate instead of my mom. I remember vividly my Mom being in tears as she recalled how she bought my grandmother a beautiful H.awai.ian ring as a gift. My grandmother slipped it on her finger and in the same motion she brought the newly ringed finger up to her mouth and proceeded to pull the ring off her finger with her teeth! Horrified, my Mom left the room and immediately told my Dad. He stormed over to my grandmother and chewed her out. That was probably over 10 years ago. After repeated attempts to get close to her, my mom has finally learned to keep her distance.

In June when my parents were in town, I had the good, rare fortune of spending hours with my Dad. It was pretty cool, although I didn't mean for him to pay for lunch b/c I really had to use the restroom. After a day of errands we were preparing dinner and I asked him if he knew anyone whose babies died. Yes, he said, your grandmother, my mother. What! I was incredulous. In the '40s after the war, she had two babies, a boy and a girl, die about two years apart, a few days after birth. My dad was about 6 (or younger?) and he remembers that she cried a lot. In the '60s another daughter passed away from an infection due to retained placenta a few days after giving birth.

My grandmother has 4 living daughters and 1 living son. She has had 3 of her children die. Only recently did I realize that all these years she has carried around this weight. It has shaped her into an ungrandmotherly, unmotherly person. I don't know what her reaction was upon hearing about the twins. She had a minor stroke about 1.5 months ago and my mom told me that she cried when she learned that I asked about her. I do wish that I could talk to her in person. I wonder if she would be open to talking about her babies. (I also want to know so that I can add this information to my next whenever it is genetic counseling appointment.) I also wonder if my babies didn't die, and if I never asked the question, if I would ever have known this about my grandmother. It makes me think of what other bits and pieces are waiting to be revealed.

5 comments:

niobe said...

This post makes me think of my own grandmother, who's been gone for many years. My father was her only living child, but when I was a little girl, my grandmother would tell me about the the babies she had lost. At the time, I didn't really understand what that must have meant to her, but, of course, I do now.

Julia said...

I only found out my father's maternal grandparents lost a son in the war when I went to the cemetery in May... Why can't you talk to her? Or is on the phone not the thing you had in mind?

wannabe mom said...

niobe - if your grandmother was still alive, do you think that you would talk to her about her losses?

julia - you got it - i would prefer face to face, number one for the sensitivity and number two because of hearing (her), language (her), and patience (me) issues. i do need to do this soon though.

niobe said...

Wannabe mom: Of course I would. Though it would be easy because my grandmother always was ready to talk about her lost babies. They were a real presence to her.

Lori said...

My father's mother also lost "several"(?) babies, but the details are sketchy. It seemed to be one of those things that the family sort of knew about, but she didn't talk about. My father was her only living biological child, and then my aunt was adopted later.

It wasn't until my father was a grown man that he came across a headstone in the cemetery for one of the babies, his brother. His name was James, and my father never knew anything about him. Even before my own losses, I found that so terribly sad.

When my Granny was dying I thought about finally asking her about her lost little ones, but never gathered the courage. I honestly don't know if she would have been willing to talk about them or not.