Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Nerve

A co-worker said, "Why did you say they died? Say they are in a better place."

Sounding disgusted and offended, I replied, "They're not in a better place, the better place is with me."

She said, "Oh."

Some people just don't get it.

8 comments:

Beruriah said...

Is this woman insane?? "Doesn't get it" is an understatement. So presumptuous. Good for you for giving her the response she deserved.

niobe said...

This woman can't even deal with the word died? What is her problem? Not to mention that you might not share her beliefs about the afterlife.

You had a great comeback for her, which, I hope, will make her think twice and bite her tongue before saying something so horrible to someone else.

Aurelia said...

I like your retort. Freakin' brilliant!

Julia said...

Excellent retort. Stealing it, in case I ever encounter someone THAT stupid. Hope you don't mind. :)

Does she have children? Cause I might, just might have been mean enough to ask her which of her children she wouldn't mind going to that "better place." WTF?

Chris, Renae & Annie said...

Holy shit - she said that to you???

I'd have probably decked her first. Your response was perfect.

Some nerve.

(de-lurking by the way)
Renae

missing_one said...

Bleck! I think I just threw up in my mouth from disgust....
Tell me she wasn't bleached blonde 5'7'' and a size 2
In my head she was the insensitive cheerleader.
Good for you for sticking up against her!

wannabe mom said...

She is the one, newly pregnant and with an 8-month old I mentioned in a previous post. Not blonde, but I do think she is a size 2. My whole thing is, the babies DIED. I can't sugarcoat it. We faced the most awful decision ever, took them off the ventilators, and they DIED. I do believe in the afterlife, and I call my girls angels all the time. And fuck that if someone is going to tell me how to talk about my babies!

Ok, I'm calm. Thanks all for the support.

Lori said...

I CANNOT believe someone said that to you. What a horrible, judgmental thing to say?? You are right. They died. That's just the truth. The hard, awful, unmistakable, horrible truth.

I used to say that we "lost" twins, but then I realized that somehow softened the reality of what happened. It allowed the listener to dismiss our loss for less than it was. Now, I always say we had twins that died.