Lori wrote the most beautiful post the other day (everything she writes is beautiful). I wish that the years would speed up (like the movie C.lick, but only without the dire consequences) for me, so that I too could move through my house at the end of the day and feel the same kind of thankfulness that she feels daily. I would even write about it.
But I am not ungrateful. I have my husband, my ardent supporters in some friends and family (do you have those too?), my parents and brother, and I have hope. While I navigate this funky cycle + grieving + my in-between days "real" job & home biz job + figuring out where I belong in the parent world + being a new doggie mom (this one is the least of my worries but a change nonetheless), I have hope that someday Wannabe Dad and I will be chasing some chubby-legged being around, our eyes heavy with sleep, our clothes stiff with stains, our ears full of cries and shrieks and silly laughter.
Trouble is, I also have bitter -- still distancing myself from pg friends and newborns. How would I even act around them? Truth is I haven't tried, even the thought makes me well up. I nearly ran into new parents at work today, and if I hadn't seen the "It's a Girl" sign in the office window out of the corner of my eye and the pink stuff hanging out of a dark bag which clearly he wouldn't have in his office, I would have stopped to look. A passerby who hadn't seen me since last November almost asked if I had "seen T's baby", but she stopped herself at "Have you..." and trailed off after realizing that I wasn't the same person she could have asked such a benign question to not a year ago. Thanks for small miracles?
It started to be a sullen drive home, then I remembered the hope. It's still in there, flickering, quiet, encouraging.
Thursday, August 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Oh, I'm so touched you shared that post of mine. It truly came at the end of the day, and was exactly what I was feeling at the time. And it is, in fact, what I do and feel at the end of most days.
From my vantage point, as a mother further down the road of grief, and a mother of three living children, I wish all the time that I had a crystal ball for mother's like yourself. I wish I had a way of assuring you that the child, and the future, you long for is out there waiting for you. I have every hope in the world for that, but I can't show it to you, and that pains me. I wish I could offer promises, instead of just encouragement.
You have every reason to be both hopeful, while still being very, very hurt and guarded. I, myself, am still guarded in certain situations. There are things that will always sting, I think. At least they do for now.
Hold onto the hope. I am hanging onto it with you.
I felt much the same as you did when reading Lori's post, sadness and hope. And I can't really add much to what she's written in her comment. I'm sorry your workplace seems to be baby central - even now I would find that so difficult.
Like Lori said, hold onto the hope.
I so want for all your hopes to be realized and for you and Wannabe Dad to have that chubby-legged being that you're longing for. And I want it to happen for you as soon as possible. Or sooner.
Post a Comment