Saturday, August 25, 2007

Contrast

Unlike what I just found out about my paternal grandmother, I always knew about the daughter that my maternal grandmother had, who died (stillbirth). I don't exactly remember when my Mom told me about her, but all my cousins know about her and my aunts and uncles bring up her name from time to time. She would be in her 60s today, no doubt as warm and as loving as the rest of the family. Years ago (ok, just 2.5) a few days before my wedding, my uncle debuted a big banner of our family tree. After he pointed out where wannabe dad's rightful place was on the banner (cue the happiness tears!), I scanned the rest of the family members and saw Aunt Gloria's name. She was and is still remembered.

My maternal grandmother has been in a care home since early November following a hip fracture and surgery. At 94 she is sometimes lucid, and others she is downright hilarious. ("Ma, do you know who I am?" "Why, don't you know who you are?") I am positive that she thinks about her lost daughter even after all these long years.

9 months since our daughters left this world. They are in our hearts, maybe even reincarnated in Kika and Limu. We always said that we were blessed with our twins because we lost a baby and Mr. Elvis died. So who the heck is Kaleo?

2 comments:

Beruriah said...

I'm glad Aunt Gloria is remembered. So much pain in our family histories that we don't know about for so long. My mom was my grandparents' only child that I know of - and wasn't born until my grandma was 43. I feel like there has to be something there, but my mom never inquired and there's no one left to ask.

Kaleo looks like my 7th grade health teacher - Mr. Palmer. Although I don't know why he would return to you. He was a nice man, albeit a bit too old to manage rowdy 12-13 year olds.

wannabe mom said...

Wow, Mr. Palmer's ears must have been quite a sight. :)