Monday, December 10, 2007

Undecided

To card or not to card?

Since we're not doing Christmas (again) this year, I'm as yet undecided whether or not to send holiday cards. If I send out cards, then I have to include a letter on "how we're doing" and "what we've been up to" and "how we've coped in the last year since our babies died and boo on you for not calling if you didn't call or for not emailing if you didn't email or for not contacting us if you haven't done so since the funeral but we're thankful if you did or even thought of doing so."

I've already received two cards from friends, with children, one with a pregnancy announcement (how do I rain on that parade?), and I remember Shit, I didn't tell them last year. These are friends whose weddings we've been to, or we knew them from way back when, but when we had to share the news of our tragedy they weren't on the list. So for those people, I suppose I could send them a little wrap up (I wouldn't send them a link to my blog they would Freak the Fuck Out) / summary /bullet points / Cli.ffs Not.es but I'm not going to pressure myself into doing it before this year is up. And then there's the "friend" who sent a baby announcement three weeks after the funeral. Yep, she wasn't on the call list either.

Besides, I have my hands full planning a little dark side scrapbook something tidbit for my parents, who will be celebrating their 40th anniversary this Dec 30th. We are going to hell, I mean, V.egas, to celebrate this anniversary with them and my brother who lives there. I had a wild thought and sent a note to all of their friends (this is where my wedding invite list comes in handy) with some colored index cards and asked them to write a note of congratulations to them. These are folks I've known since I was tiny, and I was so impressed to receive 10 cards back so far, plus pictures from back in the day when my parents were my age!! I love looking at old pictures of my mom. Sometimes I can see myself in her (but she doesn't have this potty mouth).


Her first year teaching elementary school (1967-1968 school year)

I'll clearly have my work cut out for me. So the cards? Maybe I can tackle them if I manage to make it to past 14 weeks and get right on that bedrest. And if something sinister happens after that, then I'll get to it eventually.

P.S. Thanks for helping with some answers to that last post. I was off by two weeks with the twins, so it makes sense that when you're actually pregnant, the docs count the previous two weeks since the hypothetical LMP which the average woman has two weeks prior to ovulation. I'm beating the odds, and I guess that's a good thing. But I only want to beat them when it's in my favor.

And that's enough of these italics.

2 comments:

Julia said...

Ah! Work connection ate my comment. Trying again.
Yay for you on the scrapbook. I am sure it will be a treasured family keepsake.
I say screw the cards. We never do them, so usually I feel lame, but this year it's just a relief to not be expected to send them.
I am glad the comments on the last entry helped. It is kinda ass-backwards that they count these things, but I am glad we figured it out.
Enjoy Vegas. I love that place. Maybe because it was good to us when we were there on our honeymoon, but I love it anyway.

niobe said...

You could, I suppose, send the cards without the what-we've-been-doing letter. I get the sense that many people don't pay that much attention to the letters anyway, but maybe your friends and family are different. Otherwise, my suggestion would be that you skip the cards this year. You have any number of good excuses.