Thursday, December 6, 2007

Seven

Interesting how time passes around here.

I thought I was four weeks along, but turns out, the baby measured 6 weeks 6 days. Aw heck, let's make it seven.

Wha??? (insert Scooby questioning sound here)

Was I pregnant two to three weeks prior to my temperature rise on Nov 2? Was everything I learned in Ta.king C.harge of Your F.er.tility not correct? Or better yet, is my body such the anomaly that it defies all reason and years of research? Does that mean I nearly poisoned this child with (a LOT of) really good wine the night of Oct 27th? You mean we could have stopped the se.x-a-thon earlier? Lots of questions for sure, but these aren't the ones I necessarily need answers to.

My OB is very cautious. I have a prescription for progest.erone (gulp! I guess I didn't get the generic?? It's $55 for 21 doses, but of course, worth it.) just for mentioning it. I'm going to a high-risk clinic for the usual screening and c.ercl.age consultation for the 10-12 week timeframe, and she is recommending c.ercl.age placement between 14-16 weeks and bedrest.

A few things I wish were different: That we lived closer to the high-risk clinic, which is 1 hour away. And if I deliver early, it will be at the hospital where the twins were born. I don't know how I would take that emotionally, as I haven't been back since last year. But they have an awesome NICU department, one of two in the area. I just hope I never see that place again.

Oh, and it's a singleton, and we saw the heartbeat. I don't know how many beats per minute. I've been reading online that once you detect the heartbeat, the chances of miscarriage are lessened. I find that hard to believe. Is that even true?

My feelings while seeing the heartbeat: Relief, but skepticism thinking, this won't last.

If all goes well, we'll have a mid-June delivery.

Other tidbits...
Craving: Sashimi (salmon and hamachi). Ceviche. Red wine. Lots of it.
Sleeping: Getting up 2 hours before my alarm and not going back to sleep.
Tenderness: Boobs finally getting tender.
Creativity: No se.x until after the baby is born.
Mornings: No sickness, yet it's difficult to get out of bed.
Wondering: Is in.compe.tent cerv.ix a pr.e-exi.sting condition? I just switched insurance companies. New company monitors new enrollees for two years for such things. *Pins and needles* I might have to take a part time job stuffing envelopes.

We departed the office with the regulation diaper bag and pamphlets. (I already have one from last time.)

9 comments:

Antigonos said...

Temperature rise is a VERY inaccurate way of dating conception. So, yes, you might well have been pregnant already. There is a phenomenon called "nidation bleeding" which occurs when the embryo implants in the uterine wall. That generally takes place about 10 days after conception, which is often about when you expect your period, so women often mistake it for such.

Sorry to inform you that (1) hearing the heartbeat only lets you know that at THAT moment, everything is OK. Unfortunately you can still miscarry. And (2) your insurance firm might well consider incompetent os to be pre-existing. However, there is a difference between early and late miscarriage/premature labor. Early--until about 16 weeks--is usually due to either progesterone deficiency or a grossly abnormal pregnancy, whereas after 16 weeks it is more often due to incompetent os. However, because you had twins, such early births are not necessarily because of an incompetent os.

I know it sounds the easiest thing to say, and the hardest to do, but try to relax and not cross any bridges until you get to them. Assume, in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, that everything is proceeding normally. The one thing that is sure is that EVERY pregnancy you have will be different. In certain situations, a previous history does predispose you to having that situation again, but it doesn't make it inevitable by any means.

Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed on your behalf!

Beruriah said...

You know I am here for any and every question you might have about a cerclage. Not nearly as bad as I expected all in all.

I am fairly certain that the preexisting condition thing applies only if you have a period where you are off insurance and you have been consistently insured.

Are you doing progesterone suppositories only? Or will you begin injections at 16 weeks as well? My shots were waaaay more than $55 for 21, covered by insurance thankfully. Perhaps they're not indicated for you.

I will be hoping and counting the weeks until a June delivery for you! Many happy thoughts are pointed west from me to you.

Beruriah said...

Oh and 7 weeks! Wow. Surprise. 3 free ones for you. I really don't think you need to worry about the wine. It happens.

wannabe mom said...

Beruriah - thank you for the offer, i will take you up on it, but definitely not hound you (you will be busy, after all).

i'm taking the prog orally. my ob will check my levels at 16 weeks then determine if i need to continue.

and i looked at the 3 extra weeks as "free" too! with my screwy cycles it's really any wonder we conceived at all.

meg said...

Glad the news was good at the OB's clinic. And 3 extra weeks is good. 3 less to worry about!

Julia said...

I just went back and checked, and you were 14 dpo on the 16th, which actually means you were 4 weeks pg that day. This is because they count the weeks of pregnancy from the first day of your last menstrual period, which, to me, is stupid because it kinda makes you pregnant the first two weeks of every cycle.
Ok, so in summary, if you count pregnancy from the first day of last menstrual period (LMP) like they do in the US, you need to add two weeks to the pg estimate you have from the ovulation day, and pregnancy is 40 weeks long. Alternatively, if you count pg from the ovulation day, you are that many weeks pg (they count it that way in some other countries), and the whole pregnancy is 38 weeks long.
Hope this helps.

wannabe mom said...

meg - i hear ya - 3 less to worry about is a good thing.

julia - thanks for doing the calculations. and the funny thing is, i haven't had a normal period since 8-12. there was about 2 weeks of dark, almost black spotting in early september, no period in october. i'm wondering if that had anything to do with the may.an massage i did in aug and the herbs the practitioner gave me, which i took very sporadically over 3 weeks.. so my LMP? on my chart it says: unknown. boggling. doc is going by the CRL.

wannabe mom said...

(there were about two weeks. were, dammit, it's late!)

Julia said...

I got the two weeks, don't worry.
The thing is, they count this as if everyone has 28 day cycles, so your LMP day is kinda useless too. The day they count the pg from, actually, is two weeks before ovulation, because that would put the 4 weeks day at 2 weeks past ovulation, or at the 28 day mark of the "normal" period.
Did I just confuse you more?
Either way, the point is, I think your temp estimate was just about on target. You pinpointed the ovulation date, and the CRL measurements are close to what would have been had you had a period two weeks before that.