Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Waiting

We're as ready as we're gonna be. Laundry is done. I've pored over dozens of lists of what to bring, so the bags for the hospital are packed with snacks and essentials. I'm skipping the robe, iPod, full size towels, nightgown, aromatherapy lotion, clothes for the labor tub (which I will probably not use anyway).

Car is gassed up, carseat installed (with help from the neighbor), pet sitter is standing by, I am wearing a giant maxi pad, and there's a deflated swimming pool floaty cushion (what the hell are these things called) under my sheets.

Last time we went to the hospital we managed with none of the preplanned essentials (although a hairbrush and body lotion would have been nice), so we'll be OK. Plus, we'll be 20 minutes away instead of an hour away. We have a friend and an aunt who live a stone's throw from the hospital. I'd say we're in pretty good shape.

But I'd be lying if I told you I am not freaked out. I am freaked out. I am FREAKED out. I hope I can get a good night's sleep.

6 comments:

Antigonos said...

Take the iPod...:-)
If you're all prepared to go, you'll wait...and wait...and wait...

Bon said...

thinking of you. excited. :)

Two Hands said...

Sounds like you've done as much as you could. I know it's hard at the end, waiting for things to start. I hope it goes quickly and once you're into it, the labour is smooth and easy (it really can be!).

Julia said...

Hope you got some sleep.
If you are still at home, let us know, k?
Thinking of you.

P.S. And don't you just feel so grateful for that old wives tale above? Because we all know that a bulging sac and 3cm of dilation will just sit there and do nothing, and all because you packed.

Sara said...

Oh, so exciting. I'd say you have every right to freak out! I will be checking every second I have the chance. We are out of town.

Monica H said...

I'm a little freaked and a lot excited. I'll be joining you in the waiting game :-)

Take the ipod.