My confession is: Unless one is a stranger, I don't mind my big belly being touched. I know this repulses a lot of pregnant women out there. Lists and lists have been written on the subject. It's a "what-not-to-do" item. When I was pregnant with the twins I did mind the physical touching, but looking back I minded because my cousin made such a big deal of it when she was pregnant, so I thought it was the thing to do. (That cousin now hates me, no idea why, not a topic for my happy blog.)
At my grandmother's 95th birthday party at the end of May, my aunts and cousins were chomping at the bit to touch me. They remembered how my cousin reacted and trode (?) lightly near me with their hands stretched out, with a "Can I?" look spread on their faces. So I grabbed their hands and placed them gently on their grand nephew's cocoon. They were so happy. And it made me happy to see them happy about this baby, after all that we've [all] been through. (Although what would they be, other than happy?)
Touching a moving belly is a special experience as well. I like to share the wealth, but too bad the internal sideways simultaneous stretching and rolling doesn't quite get translated when you're not the owner of the belly. And dare I even complain about this, but what I thought were bruises on my hips from lying on my sides all the time, were the beginnings of purple stretch marks. Egad! And we are talking about even a quarter inch of stretch. I'll shut up about that now.
So that's my confession. Everyone is different, and attitudes change. What I won't change my mind about is the cousin that likes to throw babies in the air. He's just going to have to wait till the kid is 5 years old, and maybe I'll let him.


3 comments:
Family is family, you know? Especially family that has been good about the tragedy. I don't mind my sister touching the belly. I even allowed her to take a picture of her (and mine) hand on it. Obviously, JD and Monkey are on it like white on rice. I think if good friends wanted to touch it, I would be ok with it too. My parents were here, but they didn't ask. If they did, I would've been ok with it too, I am sure. But I think if my MIL wanted to touch it, I would kick her. Or at least say something really mean.
Bon voyage to the plug, and good luck to you, again. And hey, you made 37 weeks. How exciting is that?
Julia - I'm glad you are able to share your belly goodness. It does make a difference who gets to touch it, like if my FIL wanted to I would have to turn and run. Or slide.
I am so excited for 37 weeks! I still can't believe we've gotten this far.
i don't get touched much, not like i did in the first pregnancy. i don't really mind it (and didn't then) but suspect i give off "do not touch" vibes or something.
godspeed to your mucous plug. ;) wishing you a safe, wonderful, speedy path to meeting this boy of yours.
Post a Comment