Friday, June 27, 2008

Evidence

Pictures of the materials used in the cerclage are below. I changed them to black and white so the remnants of blood on them aren't as obvious. When my doc held them up to show me I was surprised that they were covered in blood...it was a bit disturbing. I didn't know what to expect. 

So here they are. I can't really say what part of the mersilene was where, because I didn't see it on my cervix for myself. My doc let me know that the knot was "up", meaning as I was laying down it was nearer the front of me rather than the back. Make sense?

This picture is of the mersilene (thick white pieces) and the nylon thread. See the Y's in the nylon thread? Those sections were previously joined - that's where they were clipped. The thread was in a figure eight through my cervix, the mersilene around my cervix (like the ribbons around ankles on ballet slippers? Hmm.)

This is a close up of the nylon thread, look at the number of knots in it. 

But even more amazing is the size of the mersilene and the knots in it. I didn't feel it at all.

Here are the knots in the mersilene next to a quarter for size reference.

This picture shows the texture of the mersilene. It reminds me of really thin elastic (as used in clothing) but without the stretch.

I've had very slight spotting since yesterday, nothing to be alarmed about. Yes, #3 is still lurking and I've picked up a container of Activia yogurt to see if that will help some regularity happening.

Have a great weekend everyone.

7 comments:

Bon said...

sweet lord. perhaps i can just keep mine in permanently.

i have one and i can't quite wrap my head around the pictures...but i'm glad yours is out and you've made it so good so far and all that.

will be emailing for detailed account, once i get brave. ;)

Monica H said...

It never occured to me to keep the evidence of the cerclage. But then again, mine didn't work so it really wouldn't have brought good memories anyway. Perhaps next time.

I'm pretty sure they only used mersilene on me. I wonder why they used 2 different materials on youor rather why they didn't use both on me? Hmmm.

Thanks for making them black and white :P

Rosepetal said...

It certainly doesn't look very appealing, even in black and white!

Thinking of you wannabe mom, and wishing you all the very best.

wannabe mom said...

My OB was surprised that there were two types of material used, she said "oh, looks like he did a double cerclage!", and it freaked me out that she didn't know that. Wasn't it in "the report"?

niobe said...

It never occurred to me to wonder what a cerclage was actually, y'know, made of.

missing_one said...

huh. interesting.
how many more days to go? =)

Julia said...

You know, I am impressed. It looks very thorough. I am happy it got you this far. Happy making it to Thursday and the next attempt. :)
Thinking of you.