Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Receive

As much as it pained me, I asked for help.

I asked for food, for company, for maternity clothes, for a dog walker.

And they all came this weekend -- Saturday was an aunt and uncle (and crochet lessons), Sunday was my BIL and his family and another close friend couple and their two kids (10 mos -- I didn't freak out although I had ignored him for the last 10 months, and 3 yrs). They brought food to last us the week, full meals so I don't go hungry during the day (I'm on a pie-hole-feeding-schedule of every 2 hrs!) and neither of us have to cook at night.

Wannabe dad also enjoyed the company. Kaleo's little chihuahua cousin came too.

We are so grateful. They were so responsive and willing to help. All I had to do was ask.

Our friend L gave me 2 big bags of maternity clothes, my SIL bought me some cute clothes too. Now I don't have to shlep this sweats-clad-fur-covered roundness to doc appointments and the occasional grocery trip.

L also gave us 2 big bags of baby clothes, and attempting to sort through them we had no idea it would result in big fat tears. We even saw the telltale newborn hospital hat, much bigger than the ones the twins wore. That one did us in. So we put those bags aside for a later date or I could have someone else sort them by size.

More people offered to come. We are waiting with open arms, and open mouths.

Meanwhile, I was instructed at today's OB appointment to, for the next four weeks until 28 weeks, really take it easy. Wannabe dad and I agreed to my not cooking or washing dishes, and to be diligent about wearing the sexy support hose (I skipped wearing them on the weekends). Maybe I'll take one day off a week to lay flat. I'm usually reclined on pillows, with my pelvis flat on the bed, but not laying on my left side. Good signs are no bleeding whatsoever, rare BH ctx about 2 a night, no other cramping or pain. Appointment on Thursday to measure cervical length which cross my fingers has not changed.

5 comments:

niobe said...

I'm so glad that you have such sweet and generous friends and family. It sounds really wonderful.

Beruriah said...

Good for you. I know how hard it is to ask for help.

24 weeks already - for me it has been going so fast. I wish it would for you too.

Julia said...

I am so glad you asked, and so very glad they came.
Our old rabbi once gave a sermon on the importance of letting people do for you, of how that sustains people and communities. I think of it often when I know I should ask for help and yet hesitate.
Happy laying around.

Bon said...

it is hard to ask, isn't it? i am so glad you did, and they were bountiful in the coming through.

i think i'm going to need to learn to ask, too.

wannabe mom said...

sorry for the delayed response to your comments, everyone.

it was very hard to ask for help. i'm usually the one offering help, and i had to stop thinking that i was being selfish in asking, especially since i never ask.

let me know how it goes in any of your future asking sprees.