Sunday, July 8, 2007

Nurture

It’s interesting what is happening in our house. It seems that wannabe dad’s dream is coming true: the one where he dreamed we had two cats and two dogs and everything was amuck! amuck! there was hair everywhere the animals were running in and out of the house around our legs and each other. At the time we only had Moki, and I couldn’t imagine having another cat, much less a dog (I am so not a dog person).

As 7-7-07 would have it, we welcomed another kitten into our home. Yet to be named, he is a gray and white tabby who is Moki’s nephew! Moki’s sister got out of the attic with their mom and was roaming the rough and tumble streets of our ‘hood, apparently getting to know the gray cat (we think) in the neighborhood quite well.

We managed to trap the kitten’s mom and 3 out of 4 siblings* for animal services to pick up. I spent the better part of the afternoon bent over a freshly shampooed kitten with a flea comb and a container of hot water + detergent to drown the suckers. 35 fleas and counting, and there are a few more to get. He is too young for flea shampoo (5-6 weeks old). Ow, my neck!




As he lay in my lap this morning, I was reminiscent of our daughters and how they were about the length of this kitty - 12 inches, from my elbow to half of my palm. Sigh. (Everyday things remind me of the children I lost. Minivans. Shopping carts. Coffee. Sleeping. Awakening.)

Our puppy Kaleo (ka-LAY-oh, Hawaiian for “the voice”) is doing well. He has us trained to keep him in his crate, take him out for 2x daily walks, and have him sit and lay down. He does well with other doggies when he’s off leash and shows off his fetch at the dog park. He and Moki are learning to tolerate each other.


What good is this blog to me if I don’t pepper it with complaints? Despite the happy kitty events, I was really down yesterday because a support group acquaintance, whom we are meeting for dinner and dog fun in two weeks, is 3 months pregnant. I’m sure it is difficult for her since her boy/girl twins were born at 23 weeks in February. I am feeling left behind, thinking something is wrong with me because I’m nowhere near T.TC again.

We have consciously put a date in our heads when we will start, which is after the first anniversary. Add 6 months for the trying, 9 months for the baking, and we’ll have (theoretically speaking of course) a take-ho.me baby. I should be nice and 37 years old, a fine addition to the high-ris.k pregna.ncy cases. My cerv.ix is wonderfully uncooperative, my cycles magically irregular, heck I don’t even get br.east tendernes.s or cr.amps anymore. I’m bitching for the moment, I don’t plan to give up, but I sure do wish that time would speed up.


*The 4th sibling snuck in under the partially open garage door last night and is in there now. I'll give this one a bath after we catch it, but we can't keep it, I think.

3 comments:

Julia said...

Wow! That's a regular animal hospital you got in there... The little one is so cute! As is the bat-dog :). I'd love to get a cat, but JD is not just a dog-person, he is a very serious anti-cat person. Boo.

I am sorry about you having to deal with another's pregnancy. That's never easy. I don't have much wisdom there myself, except that maybe if you were doing something about your cycles, like taking blood tests throughout to map the day 3 numbers, and looking for LH spikes and measuring mid-luteal progesterones it would help you feel like you are doing something, rather than waiting for the anniversary. I may be talking out of my ass in that you may know exactly what is causing your cycles to behave the way they do. But I have PCOS, so I always have to keep an eye on what my cycles are doing, and while it's not necessarily straight-forward, it at least gives me something to do. Of course now that we started trying, I found out that that in itself brings a whole new set of anxieties and a whole new dimension of grief.

Thinking of you.

Leilani90 said...

You have two kitties now? no way!!! That is awesome. I am thrilled for you. A house of animals will give you so much love. I know not the same as Nadia and Cerina. I love Kaleo. I think bat dog is very appropriate. Jackie poo must meet him and the kitties one of these days. We will have to do a road trip. I love honey and talk to you soon.

Sara said...

Julia is so wise. I think she's right on about doing something to physically prepare yourself so it's not just a waiting game.