Monday, March 19, 2007

'Splainin

In the immortal words of Ricky Ricardo, "Lucy, you got some 'splainin to do!"

The fortune in the cookie simply cracked me up last Wednesday night as we wrapped up our Szechuan dinner. I immediately thought of m*sturbation. I am sick like that. After reading your comments I was reminded that fortunes in the cookies are like tarot card readings and horoscopes -- you apply them to the different aspects of your life that may or may not need help. You rationalize, apply, feel better, feel confused, it's up to you.

As I re-read that fortune, it hit me. Please yourself first. Today, for me this means:

  • Don't feel bad about not going to the cousin's baby shower I was invited to.
  • Don't feel bad about not seeing the pregnant wife of wannabe dad's close friend.
  • Not calling people back right away if I don't feel like talking.
  • Not faking happiness when I don't feel happy.
  • Not feeling bad about breaking up with my counselor because I can't stand looking at her worn out shoes and her half-eaten-off lipstick and listening to her agree with me.

Actually, I think a more appropriate fortune especially for bereaved parents would read:

You will be happier if you protect yourself first.

(I didn't quit my job, although nothing would please me more.)

2 comments:

Sara said...

Woah - I would not be able to handle that lipstick either.

Good for you.

niobe said...

Sounds like an excellent list of ways to protect yourself.