Friday, March 30, 2007

Quotes

Before spending large amounts of money on something at work, we are required to get at least three quotes from different vendors. Of course we compare lead times, quality, and customer service, but oftentimes the winning bid is chosen by price.

I must have been at my job too long because I requested three quotes for the granite gravemarker that wannabe dad designed. We didn't want to settle for the dollar figure quoted by the cemetery, even though they "discounted" the marker at the time of purchase. We'll go to the cemetery to discuss the carving options and the requirements for getting a marker from an outside vendor.

Wannabe dad included our daughters' footprints in the design, which we would like to have "pressed" into the stone rather than carved flat. I am ambivalently looking forward to having this marker installed in place of the temporary green-bordered plastic marker.

3 comments:

Lori said...

These are such terrible decisions for a parent to have to make, and yet they are also so important. I know that many parents experience the same ambivalence you describe over wanting so much to have the grave marker placed, and yet wishing they had no need of it at all.

We chose to have our son and daughter cremated together, and have thus far decided to keep their remains at home with us. I know some people might find that morbid, but it really isn't. They are in a beautiful box we had made, and no one would even know that is what is in there. Our plan is to have them buried with one of us when we die.

Although, I have to admit that sometimes I kind of wish I had a place to "go" to be with them.

Wishing you peace.

Sara said...

You maybe have been at your job too long, but not because you're taking great care in the selection and design of your twins' gravestone. It's what we can do for them, to make sure they're properly care for.

I hope it goes well for you with the cemetery people.

niobe said...

No parent should ever have to choose their child's gravestone. I'm so sad, both for you and for the rest of us.