Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Again

I remember trying to get comfortable with my 5.9 month pregnant belly when lying in bed, carefully maneuvering the 4 pillows I had around me into all the right spots. I remember wannabe dad talking to the girls each night, telling them how excited he was to meet them and chase them and be The Papa. It was a time of joy, being happily uncomfortable, and just planning for our future with our girls just took my breath away. The thought of being pregnant again scares me, because I don't want to lose another beautiful, perfect baby. Cerclage, 6 months of bedrest, I could handle (ok I'm lying about being able to handle 6 months of $*%&*%# bedrest). Losing another baby would surely break me.

The whole "you can have another baby" bullshit thing that people say...I don't have to say how insensitive that comment is. Hubby and I have talked about it, and at the very least I don't want to be pregnant on the girls' one year birthday. It would be too much. I want to cry my body out without stressing a baking baby. However, even getting pregnant won't be that easy since my cycles are not the textbook 28 days -- they are more like 48, 36, 40, with ovulation every other cycle. It took 6 months of charting my temperatures and I can't even pinpoint the exact day our parts met to make the babies. I'm not one of those "and before I knew it, I was pregnant," or "I just got off the pill two months ago" women, and all that crap about "just relax and it'll happen"? Please. All these years I spent avoiding conception, and I find my awesome husband and we can't have the family we want.

Add to this my "it happens to 40% of all pregnancies" miscarriage in 2005, I should be fucking nuts by now! Cuckoo corner! I am being patient, or at least trying it, holding on to the fact that my mom had me & my brother in her late 30s, and my aunt on my dad's side got pregos at mid-40.

Just a little rant to end this lovely day of hump.

5 comments:

Lori said...

I understand the fear. I wish I could tell you how you get past that fear. I'm not sure you do. My subsequent pregnancy was terrifying, but it actually went perfectly.

The funny thing is for me, I knew we would try one more time. We just sort of put our heads down and went for it (although with my infertility that was not as simple as that sounds). But now... I can't do it again. I feel like we tempted fate one more time, we got our baby, and now I need to cut my losses and run.

Life after loss, is not easy. I'm sorry you are having to struggle with all of these feelings and decisions.

Sara said...

I won't tell you the horrible retorts that come to mind at the statement, "you can have another baby."

I think losing another baby might surely break me as well. I'm kind of shocked that I'm just plunging forward with it anyway.

Wow this all sucks. I said to my doctor the other day that I'd happily hang upside down for months (my way of referring to the horrible angle I lay in during hospital bed rest) if it meant the baby would live. Happily, maybe that's an exaggeration, but willingly, for sure.

I'll be here to read all about it whenever you're ready.

Julia said...

I said to my doctor's nurse two weeks ago that very same thing-- loosing another baby would break me.

I have not yet met anyone stupid enough to say to my face that we "can have another baby." But because I know I am not too quick with the retorts on my feet, I prepared one ahead of time.

Hang on. As Sara said, we will be here when you are ready to take the plunge.

wannabe mom said...

Sara and Julia: I would be curious to know your comebacks to such an insensitive comment. Mine (though I'm not sure I would really have the balls to say it): Really? When your husband/wife dies you can always get another one. And Sara, I am rooting for you on this next chance!

Lori: Thank you for your words of experience. I so want to experience a full term pregnancy, although I am taking for granted that I would be a wreck throughout.

Julia said...

Here's the one I have in store for the first idiot to say it to my face: "Really? Let me ask you something then. Which one of your children are you willing to give up? For an illusory promise of another baby? What? It's not the same thing? Why? Because you got to know your children? Well, I got to love mine. I will love any other children that I will ever be fortunate enough to have, but they will not be the ones that we lost. And they will not be substitutes for them."

Really, it's so dumb. My five year old understands this. How idiotic can grown people be?

Feel free to use without attribution, if you like this. :)