Thursday, September 4, 2008

Easing

Slowly but ever surely, we're getting the hang of breastfeeding. I got him hooked on a nipple shield, a marvelous invention but definitely a setback. See, I have the good fortune of having an inverted nipple -- yes TMI -- on my right side. That, and the nipple shield, makes it impossible to nurse in public, a feat I have not yet attempted. As it is at home, the milk machines just hang there, exposed and willing, oftentimes dripping, and there's no shame in it, er, them. Sometimes when I'm cradling him, he maneuvers his head inch by inch down toward my breast, finally finding the front of my shirt to suck on, resulting in a round wet spot. It is so cute and I can't help but laugh.

But I've find it hard to laugh lately, with this serious lack of sleep.

And in three weeks I will be royally screwed. My mom goes back home, and I have to make the transition back to work. I'll do a couple of practice runs before she leaves, where I'll work a few half days a week, and bring the baby with me. I have been poking my head in the office for a few hours at a time, 2x a week.

I would love some suggestions on a sleep/nurse/work schedule. Does this even exist? I am really freaking out trying to figure out how wannabe dad and I are going to be able to function. If I hear him say one more time, we'll figure it out, I will scream. Baby is sleeping maybe 2 hour intervals during the night. He is 8 weeks tomorrow and is going on week 2 of a growth spurt where during the day he'll want to nurse every 1-1.5 hours. Right now I nurse baby all night, wannabe dad takes over from 6-8:30, when Mom takes over till about 11 when I get up. I also get up maybe 2x during that time to pump. But when she leaves, all hell will break loose, me included.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's talk this weekend when you have time. Sorry I haven't called lately...some of us are still getting over a cold and I've been busy as heck at work.

Monica H said...

Come on over- I have a pink rose for you.

Julia said...

How is it going these days? Work/sleep/nurse-wise?